Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Alice on SyFy

Since I loved Wicked; Son of a Witch; Mirror, Mirror and all of Gregory Maguires other books, I knew I would love this mini-series! I don’t love that the Sci-Fi channel changed their brand to SyFy, but they didn’t ask me. So I digress.

Alice is a modern girl who is a Black Belt and lives with her mom. She has a lovely new boyfriend who suddenly disappears after he tries to give her a ring. Alice tries to follow him and herself falls through a looking glass. Life is all sort of crazy on the other side. Of course, being a real girl and not a literary character, she finds it hard to believe that she is THE Alice in THE Wonderland.

This Wonderland is SCARY. Have you ever seen the 1980s version of the story? With Carol Channing as the White Queen and Sammy Davis Jr as the Caterpillar? Ok. Its WAY creepier than that. There is a Big Brother vibe. The Queen of Hearts kidnaps humans to steal their emotions and bottle it. The buildings float in the sky with narrow sidewalks that just END. There was an attempted revolution. Creepy stuff.

Alice makes her way into the Casino where the Queen resides and finds her dear boyfriend, only to realize he is the Queens son – the Prince that is. Oh yeah, she has daddy issues and low and behold, her dad is stuck in Wonderland as well! So she makes it her mission to free the humans that are being held and used, including, of course, her dad. Along the way, Hatter is her guide and potential love interest?

Great story and a wonderful cast. One of my favorites, Kathy Bates, plays the Queen. Another long time fav, Tim Curry, has a brief role as Dodo. And who can ignore Matt Frewer as the White Knight? Don’t recognize the name… Its Max Headstrom! Haha! The same group made a rendering of the Wizard of Oz, which is currently sitting in my DVR. And now I am SO looking forward to Tim Burtons Alice In Wonderland. Can I buy my tickets now?

No comments:

Post a Comment