Its that time of year. The cookies are gone. The presents are unwrapped. The tree is (maybe) down. Once we get past the brief excitement of New Years Eve it is on to the drab long cold winter months. We count down to spring with a quick sparkly break for Valentines Day and Easter (if those are your thangs)… Maybe its because of this New Years Resolutions die out? Its arguably the most depressing time of year, unless you live somewhere warm and lovely. And depression = not wanting to do ANYTHING. AT. ALL.
However. I am starting my NYR today. Thus, not NYR at all. Thus, I simply cannot fail. Right? Right.
So my list:
· Get Healthy. Not the ever present “lose X pounds” or “get into a size X” or anything specifically specific. I simply need to be healthy. Eat less. Eat better. Move more. Simple, right? Well, no, obviously. But I’ll try my hardest. E needs a little sister (or brother I guess), and my health needs to be in order before that can happen.
· To assist with “Get Healthy” Eat Less Red Meat. You never thought you’d hear me say that (or see me write it?). Well, its true. I am a BEEF lover. However, unless it’s a fantastical steak, is it necessary? I can easily swap out for ground turkey or chicken and save some fat. Not sure how this will effect the grocery budget though.
· “Get Healthy” help #2 is Get Active. I am currently exploring ways to do this. We are probably putting some of our Christmas dough towards a Wii Fit. If there is room in the budget, I wouldn’t mind a membership to a gym or Curves-type thing. However, with C working later hours, it’ll be hard to get there without dragging the lil tyke along. And I know I won’t do that. So I have to be creative at home. Wii Fit. Yoga/Pilates DVDs. And good old fashioned walks around the block (when its warm). I hate beginning to work out, but it feels SO GOOD during and after. I need to bottle that and drink some of it just before.
· Organize. I have a wonderful book that has 52 areas in your life that need help. You tackle one section a week throughout the year. It starts with your mind and ends with your Christmas crap. I am in the process of redoing my weekly/daily schedules and will make time for this each week. I’ll also share the “tip” here.
· Get out more, specifically with E-boo. I have this ridic anxiety about going out and meeting new people. Yet, I incessantly whine about being bored and lonely. Hm. So I’ve joined a local moms group that has events nearly every day. So the opportunity is there. I just have to grab the bull by the horns and GO. Its good for both the kiddo and myself. Also, get out more with my hubby and my family. C and I need more dates. Before the kid, we went to movies ALL the time. It gave us something to talk about. Well, that’s not as possible, but we can still get out, with or without him. We live in an incredible city & state and really need to explore more. This will help the hubster and I connect better, I think!
· Donate time/money/talents. But without stretching myself too thin. Its ok to help, but its just as ok to say no when you need to. I don’t know ANYONE that doesn’t struggle with this.
· Pray more. I don’t need to explain this. It just needs to happen.
· Time for myself. I will be getting a mani/pedi once a month. Fairly cheep, quiet time that helps me look and feel good!
· Blog. You’ll hopefully get sick of me. But I intend to blog about every book I read, movie I watch and new experience. So adjust your readers folks.
Now for the help. I am going to print these off on colorful paper with glitter and stickers and stuff like that. And stick them where it will help. My choir director states that taking a moment during the small stuff (brushing your teeth, pumping gas, etc), is a great time to pray. Maybe sticking the “pray more” card on the mirror so I see it while brushing my teeth. Or the “eat less beef” where I make my grocery list. I’ve schedule my monthly mani/pedi into my calendar. And as for “blog more”… I’ll keep you all updated on my progress!
What are your resolutions? Do you have any tips for making them reality?

Why did I not know about this blog until now? I really must have not been paying attention. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat's this book you speak of? That 52 areas that need help thing sounds right up my alley. I'm going out today, so if you tell me in time, I'll pick it up.
IMO I'm not a great writer, so I haven't really bragged it up.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful thoughts friend...I support ALL your goals...and I think I need to adopt some as well! Is it considered cheating if you "take" someone else's goals? Always in teacher mode... ;)
ReplyDelete