
Friday, July 10, 2009
When I grow up...
I have been thinking about my future and what I want to do when I grow up. As for now, I'm thrilled to be able to stay at home with Eboo and be a mommy and volunteer and grow a life here in Colorado. However, I have this underlying passion for gender communications and all that goes with that. I've thought, hey, should I ever decide to do the school thing again, relationship therapy would be right up my alley!
With that, I thought I would find something to try to get my feet wet in the mean time. You know, something to get out of the house, build my networks, be involved in something I am passionate about. I have a contact here that is a facilitator for a program that is funded by state grants. It teaches communication within a relationship, to both couples and individuals. It is an off-shoot of a national program that does the same, as well as stresses the importance of healthy relationships to teens (rather than just sex... and no, its not abstinence only). They also have a program teaching men to be good men. No knocking up and running. No part time dad stuff.
I was thrilled to hear of these programs and learn more about possibly being involved as a facilitator. I met with the secretary of the organization, who brought me a lot of their printed materials and gave me info on how the process works. She came off as very timid and scared, especially when talking about the head honcho. I thought that odd. However, I was beyond excited when she told me they were starting up a program for G/L partnerships (yes... liberal Catholic here!) .
Well, I reconnected with my contact. She gave me the DL. The head honcho was brought in by the fed to ensure they don't lose funding. She doesn't really know about the project or its message. She just pushes the numbers. If the project fails, she still gets paid and is reassigned. Everyone else, however, loses their job and opportunity. That made me sad. Sounds like she is kind of a raging bitch. I've worked with those before for MONEY and I certainly don't want to get involved on a volunteer basis. That isn't worth it!
Also, the way the system works... You sell and market your workshop. If you have less than 10 units (individuals or couples) come, the show is cancelled. And you get NO compensation. If, however, you have 10, voila! You get paid. So ONE PERSON is a difference between being rewarded for nearly the same amount of work, either way. And then, 10-24 people get you a pittance. 25+ gets you a bit more. But any number over 25 = the same amount of pay. And there is the possibility of them bringing in a co-counsel, who SHARES in your pay should the class be too big.
This all depends on who shows up for the class. Because it is funded by a grant, they don't charge the attendees. So, a couple has no financial obligation to show up the day of. They may have signed up a month ago, but wake up that morning not feeling it.
Also, it was inferred that my PT business could be a liability. So, you have a woman that is comfortable speaking in front of others, and about 'taboo' subjects. And thats considered a liability? Sounds like a huge bonus to me. But, I don't know much, I guess.
Too many ifs and red flags are involved. I love my time with my son, but I don't want to relinquish it and see nothing come from it. *sigh* Back to the drawing board, I guess.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment