If it isn't obvious, music is a huge part of our lives. I few up singing and was in band. The Hubs was also in band, and had a random stint in the musical Grease. Even E-Boo loves to sing and dance to music. Hes a prodigy!
This love of music is what drew me back to the Catholic Church 4 years ago. I knew I needed to meet people upon moving to Colorado. I love to sing, so I figured this was an easy way to get out there, so to speak. I drove to the local parish and the rest is history.
I figured I could use that same crutch when we moved to Indiana! As soon as things slowed down, and The Hubs was home on the right now, I scooted off to choir practice. The Hubs had attended services at our new parish before we moved here, and knew that they used the same hymnal book that our former parish used. So, at least I had that to lean on!
Boy oh boy but its different. I am a creature of habit, so shaking things up really does a number on me. First off, for a parish that is considerably larger than the one that we used to attend, the music ministry is so small! I've not been to a rehearsal or mass with more than two dozen ministers in attendance. Secondly, sure, they sing from the same book, but that book has over 800 songs in it! So far, most of the music we've sung here was brand new to me! Its amazing how unique tastes in music can be around the country.
But the hardest part to get used to is the music itself. Other than the hymnal, there is a second book. It is what seems to be the back page of an octavo, photocopied into a book. The back page, if you're unfamiliar, is a basic staff with only the melody line & lyrics. No accompaniment, no harmony, nothing. Some have chord markings, so the guitars & pianists know what to do, but the rest of us just kind of... make it up. A few of the songs I've been familiar with and have been able to pound out a reasonable harmony before rehearsal. But I am not a good enough musician to come up with this stuff on the fly.
But, maybe that is why I am here? To stretch my chops, to grow as a musician and not just a singer? Only time will tell! In the mean time, I'm lifting up a ton of prayers of HELP!! to St Cecilia!
No comments:
Post a Comment