Saturday, March 6, 2010

Resolution: Organize - Week 9


Week 9: Organize Your Files

Paperwork, laundry, dishes. Just when you get it done, it seems more and more comes in! You just have to stay on top of it. I try to do this with housekeeping & laundry – tackle a bit each day! Find a home for every piece of paper and file it away as soon as you’re done with it!
·        Gather up your papers, go through them and toss all useless or outdated information. There is no sense in filing stuff you don’t need. Shred and recycle.
·        Keep in mind that 80% of what we file is never looked at again; so it can probably be tossed.
·        Set up a place to keep your papers. A file box, drawer, whatever. Make sure its big enough and can hold hanging folders (if you will be using them).
·        Set up and label files. You might want to color code them based on category. I’ll try to get a list of our copious file names.
·        Start filing!
·        Keep a “to file” basket/file/drawer/box. File often. Although it’s better to just file right when you’re done with the paper. But, I’ve already said that.
·        If you create a special file (wedding planning, perhaps), be sure to purge when it’s done. Like I said earlier, we don’t go back and look at 80% of our papers!
·        Once a Month: Clean out your “to file” pile. Or, right when you’re done with the paper! (ok, I’m done)
·        Every 3-6 Months: Go through your files and toss what you don’t need. This will make less work at years end.
·        Once a Year: Store away last years files in a box. Do this in January and start fresh. Also, pull out what you need for your taxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment