Thursday, June 30, 2011

There Are Places I Remember (Part 1)

The beginnings of a wonderful project. 
So, I can be super cheesy at times. My husband and I have lived in 5 states combined (that's 10%!). I wanted to find an artistic way to document this in our home. Here is what I came up with. The outlines of the states we've lived in, placed on decorative paper, decoupaged onto canvases.

A crafters best friend. 
Gather your ingredients. Canvas, decorative background paper, paper for the states, Mod Podge. Tools will and may include sponge paintbrushes, pencil, rags, ruler. I printed the states from the internet and traced (I'll show you how) but I am being reminded that Cricut has a lovely geography cartridge. That would have made cutting some of these states easier. I'm grateful to Colorado for being so square. Florida, you might want to learn a thing or two. PS, sorry for not including the Keys. (FYI, we've also lived in Kentucky, Indiana and Iowa).

My very precise* measuring system.
You'll need to measure your paper to fit your canvas. I opted to wrap around the sides of the canvas as well. You can do whatever you want. You could even paint the sides. Or use a thick ribbon. Or a plain paper. I don't care. I didn't bother with a ruler. I measured how I do with wrapping paper, laying the canvas on end, laying it down and then back up on the other end. I'm pretty technical.

Paint Mod Podge onto canvas  
If you know how to decoupage, great! If not, I'm not going to get way into it. I'm sure there are really long and descriptive videos and blogs out there. Basically, you put the glue (Mod Podge) down on the surface, cover with the material, press and then glue on the top.

Center canvas onto back of paper and
press down to adhere front of canvas
Be sure to really get the front of the canvas to stick to the paper before moving on to the sides. Then just pull the sides back (if you're wrapping it around), kind of like wrapping a present. Hold each side for a minute or so to ensure maximum stickage.

Pinch up sides
I use a sponge-y paintbrush for this. Mod Podge's website has some good tips. Like sanding between coats (I did 2 on top before laying down the state) to avoid the paintbrush grooves. But I kind of like the grooves. So I didn't bother.

Fold in the corners (like a pressie!)
and put a dab of the glue under 
 Obviously, they didn't come out perfect:
My precise measuring system didn't quite work.
Easy fix with a pair of scissors 
Be careful to not glue your
finger to the paper, leaving a mark 
Let those dry, and read Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment