Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mind Jar

I've seen this floating around on Pinterest. I thought E-Boo needed one. He's a pretty good kid most of the time, but gets so frustrated or angry sometimes. I've been asking him to just sit down in his chair and relax for a few minutes. I'm going to be adding the mind jar into that mix. Its just a good way to calm down.
I picked up everything at Michaels, except for the food coloring, which I got at the grocery store. This size of Ball jar holds 4 cups of water. I filled a bowl with 4 cups of hot water (hot so the glue gets all melty), the full bottle of glitter glue, 2 things of the glitter and a few drops of food coloring. The glitter and glue kind of clumped together, so it needed a few stirs with a whisk to break it all up. I poured it all into the jar, sealed it up with super glue and pretty duct tape (it is being used by a three year old, after all). 
I love the blue & green mixture! The photo doesn't show the blue very well, but its there, I promise. I really like this. I think I need one. Maybe in pinks? Of course. 

4 comments:

  1. Let me know how it works for you! I shared this with a Dad friend with a 2 year old. I don't know if he is too young for it, but he likes the idea and wants to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good! At the very least, it proves as a distraction from whatever was making him angry at the moment. Another technique we use, when he's crying or having a temper tantrum, I say "your crying makes momma sad. please cry in your room and come out when you're ready to be happy!" works like a charm for this mommas boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explain the concept Stacy - how does it figure in?

    Love the blog BTW - the trip through 5 sates must have been boooooooooring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically, it gives E something to focus on, rather than "GO TO TIMEOUT!" and sitting and being more mad. Its like mental yoga!

    And yes. THOSE 5 states were boring. I need prettier states between my homes!

    ReplyDelete